Monday, April 25, 2011

Chocolate lime pie + popsicles on the side

Chocolate lime pie / Torta de limão e chocolate

A couple of days after talking to you about intuition I had an insight while making this pie: since the tart pan I was using was a bit smaller than the one called for on the recipe, there was some filling left. I stared at the velvety cream and thought it would taste amazing as some sort of frozen dessert – I immediately poured the cream into my popsicle molds and ended up with totally addictive treats; I think they were even better than the tart itself, but please do not tell Ms. Lawson I said so. ;)

Chocolate lime pie
again from the wonderful Nigella Kitchen

Base:
3 cups Graham-crackers or digestive cookies crumbs
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tablespoons (56g) unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup bittersweet chocolate chips

Filling:
1 x 395g (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk, better if chilled
4-5 limes, to give approximately 2 tablespoons finely grated zest + ¾ cup (180ml) juice
1 ¼ cups (300ml) heavy cream
1 square bittersweet chocolate

Lightly butter a 23cm (9in) fluted tart pan, 5cm (2in) deep, with a removable bottom.
Put the crackers, cocoa powder, butter and chocolate chips in the bowl of a food processor and process until a sandy mixture forms. Transfer to the prepared tart pan and press onto the base and sides. Refrigerate while you make the filling.
Pour the condensed milk into the large bowl of an electric mixer. Zest the limes into a bowl, tightly cover with plastic wrap and set aside for decorating the tart later. Squeeze the juice of the limes until you get the required amount. Add the juice to the condensed milk and mix to combine.
Pour the heavy cream into the mixture and whisk in medium-high speed until thick. Spread over the tart base and refrigerate again for 4 hours or until filling is very firm (refrigerate for longer if your condensed milk was not chilled).
Before serving, grate the chocolate over the filling and sprinkle with the lime zest. Serve immediately – do not keep the pie out of the refrigerator for long.

Serves 6-8 – my tart pan wasn’t very deep, so there was some filling left; I made popsicles with it and they turned out delicious. :D

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Patricia! Happy Monday to you! Your frozen pop idea is brilliant! I will have to remember that. I bet the combo of chocolate and lime is heavenly. Looks perfect! Have a great week! xoxo

The Cilantropist said...

Ah, you are one smart cookie! :) I would love either a slice of the pie or a frozen popsicle, either both sound delicious!

Andrea said...

I would love to see those popsicles too, they sound just wonderful.

I like this recipe very much but then again I like every Nigella’s recipe, I'm a fan. But I think Nigella too would be amazed with how wonderful your lime pie looks. :)

Molly said...

Oh wow. One hand to hold the fork, the other to hold the popsicle stick. Lesson learned: Always trust your intuition.

DessertForTwo said...

I'm so intrigued by the idea of chocolate + lime! Thanks for the comment on my site-I can't wait to make a carrot cake with chocolate glaze!

Aleida said...

I've never had anything even close to this but it sounds like the perfect spring treat!

Sarah said...

A chocolate-lime tart sounds like just the thing I want this lovely spring morning. And I love that you made popsicles with the leftovers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails